Building Name (Common)Seth Thomas-Bradstreet Barn
Building Name (Historic)Seth Thomas-Bradstreet Barn
Address237 Main Street (Rte 6)
This is a 1 ½-story, eave-entry, gable-roof carriage barn. The main façade faces northwest and the ridge-line is parallel with Main Street, which at this point runs northeast to southwest.
The main entry is located on the north corner of the northwest eave-façade of the barn and consists of a pair of side-hinged doors with original iron strap hinges. To the west is a hip-roof porch protruding from the northwest eave-façade. Three, tall, slender columns are spaced evenly across the porch. Set within the wall, centered on this side is a window with trim, and near the west corner is a wood paneled pass-through door with trim. Vertical louvers are located just below the eave, running the entire length of this side, on the northwest eave-façade of the barn.
Four windows with trim are located on the southwest gable-end of the barn. Two on the main level, spaced evenly, and two just above. A hatchway leading to the basement is attached, extending to the southwest off the southwest gable-end of the barn. The hatchway has a pair of side-hinged doors that appear to be of constructed of wood.
The southeast eave-side of the barn has no openings except for the vertical louvers located directly below the eave, running the entire length of this side. The concrete foundation is apparent along this side.
The concrete foundation is apparent along the northeast gable-end of the barn. Four windows with trim are located on this side, two on the main level, spaced evenly, and two just above. There are no other openings on this side.
The barn is clad in vertical flush-board siding painted white with dark green trim. The roof has overhanging eaves and is clad in asphalt shingles. The foundation is of concrete.
Until the 1830s, the horses used for riding and driving carriages were often kept in the main barn along with the other farm animals. By the 1850s, some New England farmers built separate horse stables and carriage houses. Early carriage houses were built just to shelter a carriage and perhaps a sleigh, but no horses. The pre-cursor to the twentieth-century garage, these outbuildings are distinguished by their large hinged doors, few windows, and proximity to the dooryard.
The combined horse stable and carriage house continued to be a common farm building through the second half of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century, until automobiles became common. Elaborate carriage houses were also associated with gentlemen farms and country estates of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Another form of carriage barn, the urban livery stable, served the needs of tradespeople.
Carriage house associated with historic house. The Seth Thomas-Bradstreet House has stood on Main Street at least since 1838. A very well preserved two-story building, it has a long association with one of the most important families in Connecticut. In 1838, Seth Thomas bought the house from Marvin Blakeslee. Thomas was the famed clockmaker whose company would attain an international reputation. It was one of five houses that belonged to the Seth Thomas family which were situated along Main Street; all except the Seth Thomas-Bradstreet House are gone. Subsequently, the house remained in the family. The last in the line of descent from Seth Thomas was Edith Bradstreet Mather, who never married. When Miss Mather died in 2004, the State of Connecticut awarded the Town of Thomaston a grant of $450,000 to purchase the house and its contents from her surviving sister, Clara-Louise Mather Riggs. In November, 2005, the Town of Thomaston became the owner of the house, the contents, and the real estate. Source: http://thomaston.ws123.com/Content/Seth_Thomas_Bradstreet_House.asp