Building Name (Common)Happy Child Nursery School/Doll House (Part 2 of 2)
Building Name (Historic)Thomas Burgis
Address85 Boston Street (Rte 146)
This is a gable-entry corn crib with its ridge-line oriented north-south. The gable-ends are vertical, the eave-sides slant outward from bottom to top. There is a pass-through door in the center of the north gable-end. The east eave-side, south gable-end, and west eave-side have no openings. The siding is clapboard. The roof is covered with wood shingles. The foundation consists of pieces of cut stone placed under each corner to raise the building slightly above grade to permit the flow of air.
In the middle of the 19th century, growing "Indian" corn became popular. Storing the corn on the cob in well-ventilated corn cribs allowed the kernels to dry without spoiling. The distinctively shaped corn crib, with slanted side walls built of spaced wooden slats, became common by the 1860s. The overhanging eaves and slanted walls helped prevent rain from splashing inside. Vertical side walls are also common. Corn cribs are typically set high above the ground on wooden or stone posts.
The corn crib is located on a .60-acre property that also contains an English barn. This parcel of land is to the rear of a .33-acre parcel that fronts on Boston Street. The house on that property, listed on the National Register as the Thomas Burgis II House, was built in 1735 for Burgis by his father. Both properties were part of an original 4-acre parcel. The property was reduced to 3 acres in 1873, and subdivided again in 1908. In 1989, the present owners purchased the .33-acre parcel containing the house and carriage house. In 2002, they purchased the rear .60-acre parcel.
This property is located within the boundaries of the Guilford Historic Town Center, a National Register District of approximately four square miles that contains over 700 structures. Nearby is Guilford Green, a large open green space surrounded by 18tth and 19th century architecture. The house on this property is the second oldest in the neighborhood, with a chain of title that goes back to land divisions set to original proprietors in 1640. It was built in 1735 for Thomas Burgis II by his father. Originally on 4 acres, the property was reduced to 3 acres in 1873, and subdivided again in 1908. In 1989, present owners purchased the .33-acre parcel fronting on Boston Street and containing the house and shed. In 2002, they purchased the rear .60-acre parcel, with the English barn and a corn crib.
Example of corn crib
At rear of residential lot.
Located in Guilford Town Center Historic District, and appears to be a contributing resource within the district.